The Boys High School of Reading, PA – circa 1920

The city of Reading established a school for boys in 1852.

In 1857, girls were admitted to the school. 

This is almost fifty years before education was mandated in Pennsylvania.

(Pennsylvania passed a compulsory school attendance law in 1895.)

Despite the history of coeducation, a Boys School and a Girls School were erected in the 1880’s; and a larger Boy’s School was completed in 1904.

A succinct history of high school education in Reading is available from the web page of Reading Senior High School.

This postcard photograph of the 1904 Boy’s School was printed circa 1920.

The postcard was never mailed.

The handsome building was saved from destruction when it ceased being a school in 1928.

Today, it is the City Hall for Reading.

Share:

Search By:

Topics:

More Postcards

Odd Man Out – Chenango Forks, NY (1907)

Mr. Albert Page lived in Chenango Forks, a hamlet in Broome County of south-central New York State. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenango_Forks,_New_York In January of 1907, Albert received a